Leisureshopdirect Caravan Blog

Caravan & motorhome blog

Drivers 'should swap to photocard licenses sooner rather than later'

Posted by Freddie Morton

Drivers swap their paper licences for photocard versions, according to a new initiative from the Driving Standards Agency (DSA).

The DSA has suggested that professional drivers, including those with Truma caravan heaters, should apply to have their paper licences exchanged for wallet-sized card versions.

Motorists who tow a caravan with accessories and tools for your camper van are often required to pass additional C1+E driving qualifications in addition to the standard test. A photocard licence would hold all the information of additional qualifications so there is no need to carry separate documents, according to the DSA.

DSA chief executive Rosemary Thew said: "We're urging drivers to exchange their paper licence sooner rather than later."

She added that by swapping versions of the licence it could save money in the long term.

People wishing to change their documents can apply to do so online or by post.

All drivers who passed a car test before January 1st 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires.