Leisureshopdirect Caravan Blog

Caravan & motorhome blog

Caravanners warned of wood burning stove dangers

Posted by Freddy Morton

Caravan hobs and cookers users have been warned of the dangers of wood burning stoves following a caravan fire close to Shepton Mallet.

According to This is Somerset, the fire service was called to a blaze at a caravan site in Old Wells Road at around 17.30 GMT, which resulted in one man being taken to hospital after receiving oxygen at the scene.

A fire service spokesman explained: "As the colder weather continues to bite it is only natural that we spend more time indoors and endeavour to stay as warm as possible.

"There's nothing like a cosy open fire or the added warmth of an electric blanket, but these and other winter must-haves like candles can bring an increased risk of fire."

Caravan owners are advised to use a fire guard to protect an open fire against flying sparks and hot embers and make sure embers are under control and properly put out before going to bed.

Last week, the AA advised those going on caravan holidays to check weather updates before travelling as further snow is expected in the UK.