Leisureshopdirect Caravan Blog

Caravan & motorhome blog

Cornwall Council: Caravans need carbon monoxide detectors

Motorhome owners should consider adding a carbon monoxide detector to their must-have caravan accessories, Cornwall Council has advised.

This follows two separate incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning suffered on a campsite in the county over 2011.

In response to these incidents, the council has encouraged camp and holiday site owners to sign up to the CO Aware register and provide caravanners and campers with posters making them aware of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide.

Crew manager Mark Pratten, from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service's prevention team, said it was important to avoid any tragic accidents.

"This is a great opportunity for local camping and caravan site owners across Cornwall to help us pass on this very important safety message," he added.

Lynn Griffiths, president and founder of Carbon Monoxide Awareness, advised holidaymakers to take a portable testing device with them to check for the poisonous gas.

The Health and Safety Executive estimated that 15 people die annually from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by badly installed gas appliances and unventilated flues.